Whitehead on Eyelid – Preliminary review
Eyes are so sensitive that most of us notice the simplest problem in them. Anything happening to this body part needs a special concern from you.
A typical example is the appearance of some small bumps around eyes. Many people tend to underestimate them, but in fact, they are a concerning issue that you should address as soon as possible.
They do not cause any strange sensation. However, you will become less confident, especially when the size of these bumps is bigger. Let’s find out what they are and how to remove whitehead on eyelid safely.
What is Whitehead?
Whitehead can be described as small bumps that usually appear on our skin. They often contain oil inside their content and do not make us feel painful or irritated. Besides, Whitehead does not put our health in any kind of danger.
Some whiteheads may grow on the upper of your eyelid, while some can appear on the lower. In fact, many people get rid of whitehead on eyelid without any special treatment. So, there is a hope that this problem will go away naturally.
You should never try squeezing or popping your whitehead, especially when it appears on the eyelid. Otherwise, you will feel painful, and some complications might happen to destroy your well-being.
Though it is not dangerous for your health, you may want to remove it as soon as possible once you notice it on the skin. It damages your confidence and psychological health. As a consequence, health problems may happen.
So, the emergence of whitehead still requires you to take action immediately.
What Causes Whitehead?
Numerous factors can be listed as potential causes for whitehead on eyelid. But overall, whitehead is the result of infections which happen in your hair follicles. To be more specific, your hair follicles can be clogged because of dead cells, excess oil or bacteria. This can be the same as whitehead on other skin parts.
On the other hand, many different factors can lead to a higher risk of whitehead on your eyelid. It is necessary to mention hormonal imbalance which causes a series of sudden change in your body.
Besides, a diet which lacks some essential nutrients is responsible for such problems as a whitehead.
Poor hygiene is the next reason why you have to deal with a whitehead, while others do not.
A very bad habit for your eyes is to rub them with your bare hands. It is essential to remember that your hands might contain a lot of bacteria, even though you believe they are clean.
As a consequence, bacteria can find their way into or around your eyes to cause worse problems, like whiteheads. The recommendation, then, is to think about using a clean handkerchief.
Last but not least, Whitehead is more likely to be witnessed in people with some health conditions. For an instant, diabetic patients are used to constant stress, so they have a higher possibility of developing bumps on their eyelid.
Stress stimulates the level of your blood lipid, which in turn makes oil glands blocked more and more.
To sum up, these are possible contributors to your whiteheads:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Imbalanced diet
- Poor hygiene
- Health conditions
You should not be confused with whitehead and some other conditions, say, the styes. Although they are all witnessed on both upper and lower of your eyelid, they are different problems. The stye comes from inflammation due to bacteria or oil blocking.
In normal condition, our body has millions of bacteria that co-exist without posing any risks to our health. Only when they grow out of control, do they result in some problematic issues, like pimples.
A pimple is the beginning form of an external stye which you will see near your eyelash. You feel the pain, but a few days later, it will heal quickly. It does not mean that other external styes cannot last longer.
Many people claim that they have to rely on proper care to get rid of styes safely.
As whitehead comes from infection, it is better not to touch it with your hands, no matter how gentle you are. Rubbing, scratching or even squeezing out whiteheads only makes the problem much worse.
If you do not listen to me, all of these above actions will finally lead to the spreading of infections to other areas. It first happens around your eyelash and results in numerous pimples on your eyelid.
More terribly, once your eyelid becomes infected, so-called blepharitis will happen, and I warn you that it is a much worse issue.
Orbital cellulitis is another type of infection that might result from the infected eyelid.
What Are Possible Ways to Treat Whitehead on Eyelid?
With all possible dangers listed above, you might change your mind to eradicate whitehead at all costs. It is a right thing to do. In spite of giving no pain, Whitehead will have negative impacts in the long term.
Luckily, thanks to the medical and technological development, the treatment for Whitehead on the eyelid is more diverse and effective now.
You can check several professional treatments first. They are particularly helpful for those who wish not to see this problem for the rest of their life.
- Mechanical Method: Use a sterile needle to pop your bumps. It requires the help of a cosmetologist to help you remove the content inside the bumps safely. They need to cleanse, disinfect your skin before popping it out. You cannot replace the sterile needle with your bare hands.
- Electrocoagulation: This method takes advantage of electricity to burn your bumps. In this method, the bumps will disappear quickly. Besides, no scars will be noticed after the treatment.
- Laser coagulation: The difference is to use a laser to burn bumps effectively. It takes several days for your bumps to disappear completely, but you do not worry about scars either.
In addition, there are some popular natural remedies for whitehead on eyelid. They have served people for ages and even before the birth of these advanced methods.
If your problem is not so severe, you can try saving your money with these natural remedies. They are all from the natural world, so no side effects will be recorded during the time you use them.
Natural Remedies for Whitehead on Eyelid
Before jumping into the real remedies, it is worth bearing in mind that many remedies only help to accelerate the healing process.
If you have any problem with the remedies you are applying, it is imperative to stop trying immediately and look for help.
What are the advantages of natural remedies, compared to professional methods? They are much more economical. And in the long term, you do not have to be concerned about unwanted effects.
Moreover, no pain is witnessed during the treatment with natural ingredients.
Whenever your eyes have irritations, the first thing you should think of is to apply warm compress. Thanks to the warmth of the water, blood circulation around your eyes will be improved.
It helps a lot to stimulate the gland drainage and allows you to be free from swelling or painful feeling.
Nevertheless, you never use hot water or make it have the direct contact with the eyes.
How to apply:
- Get a clean, soft cloth and soak it in sterilized water
- Squeeze the cloth to get all excess water out
- Then, place it over your eyes
- Keep it there for the next 10 minutes and repeat if necessary
It is important to guarantee that water you use is clean and does not push more bacteria into your eyes. In addition to warm compress, facial steaming is a good idea to get rid of whitehead on the eyelid as well.
Another common natural remedy for whitehead on eyelid is guava leaves. Maybe many people do know this ingredient but tend to ignore its amazing applications on various treatments.
With its anti-inflammatory compounds, guava leaves are known to help you deal with pain and swelling effectively.
More importantly, you will benefit from its ability to speed up your healing process on the skin. Therefore, the risk of scars after treatment is minimized to the fullest extent.
How to apply:
- Prepare some guava leaves and remember to wash them carefully first
- Then, place them into the microwave to warm them. They should stay there for several seconds only. The alternative way is to soak them in hot water
- Then, keep warm leaves over your eyes (remember to check the right temperature, not to make your eyes feel too hot and more irritated)
- Repeat with another leaf if they become cooler
This method can be followed about twice per day and please be patient with it for a couple of days.
When it comes to improving blood circulation, massage is as good as a warm compress. In fact, it is even more popular regarding helping reduce pain or swelling.
You can make use of massage regularly to improve the healing process in every part of your body, let alone the eyes.
How to apply:
- Use water and soap to wash the hands very well
- Then, use warm compress to relax your eyelid first (in about 5 minutes)
- Massage your eyes with your fingers gently in 2-3 minutes every day to get rid of whiteheads more quickly
Get more instructions with this video now!
If you feel that massage with your bare hands is not effective, why don’t you try combining an essential oil? In such case, castor oil is a good option for those who wish to remove whitehead more easily.
This oil has a wonderful anti-inflammatory quality to handle any kind of inflammation and pain, especially when they are happening to your eyelid.
Furthermore, castor oil can reduce the size of bumps over time. In other words, it takes a shorter period to heal.
How to apply:
- Always start with warm compress in the first 5 minutes
- Dip a cotton swab into castor oil and apply a little over your eyelid
- Leave it there for several minutes for the skin to absorb nutrients
You can do so about twice on a daily basis and remember to repeat continuously during 1-2 weeks.
Besides, castor oil can be mixed with turmeric powder to have a paste to apply over your eyelid. But you have to wash it with warm water later.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a quite acidic ingredient, so many people are reluctant to use it over sensitive body parts, like skin or eyes.
However, it has got a lot of positive comments from experienced people who managed to get rid of whitehead on eyelid with it.
You have to know that apple cider vinegar possesses amazing antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities. They all contribute to relieving pain caused by Whitehead. In addition, they even prevent worse infection from damaging your vision.
Therefore, if possible, you should choose unfiltered vinegar to improve the whitehead treatment on the eyelid.
How to apply:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of the vinegar with 1 cup of warm water to reduce the acidity
- Use a cotton ball to apply a little of the mixture over your eyelid
- Do so 2-3 times on a daily basis
Another way is to consume the mixture itself. But no matter which way you follow, it is important to follow it continuously for several weeks.
Green Tea Bags
If you look for anti-inflammatory compounds, green tea is such a great source. Thus, it is undeniable that you can use it as a way to maximize the effects of whitehead treatment.
With anti-inflammatory compounds, green tea bags are effective to make bumps smaller within a short period of time.
On the other hand, containing plenty of tannic acids, green tea lowers the possibilities of infection.
How to apply:
- Put a tea bag in a cup of warm water in about 5 minutes
- Then, take it out and remember to squeeze it to remove excess water
- With the warm tea bag, keep it over your eyelid in about 5 minutes
You are free to follow this method 2-3 times on a daily basis.
Like guava leaves, acacia leaves can work as efficiently as any other home remedy for whitehead on eyelid.
In other words, they have great influence on reducing swelling and pain. All come from their antiseptic and anti-inflammatory compounds.
How to apply:
- Wash several leaves carefully
- Then, put them into water and boil them
- Wait until the mixture becomes warm enough and take the leaves out
- Keep them in a soft cloth
- Now you can place the cloth on the eyes as you do with warm compress
The calming effects will be seen immediately when you apply this method. Repeat if you want to reduce more pain.
If you have ever had to deal with the whitehead on the skin, you might be familiar with this natural remedy. Aloe vera has been appreciated around the world for its wonderful effects on the skin.
Thus, you can make use of aloe vera to tackle this problem. It fights well against inflammation, swelling, and redness. Furthermore, it provides many nutrients that play an essential role in reducing infection.
How to apply:
- Get fresh gel by cutting aloe leaf
- Then, apply a little gel over your eyelid and keep it there for about 20 minutes
- Use lukewarm water to wash your eyelid
Aloe vera can be used several times per day. It is safe for most types of skin, so there is no need to worry about irritation. But you do need to pay attention to washing the leaf to remove bacteria or dirt.
Parsley works to shorten the amount of time it takes to heal whiteheads by reducing toxic materials. It is a traditional herb used in many parts of the world for this purpose.
Furthermore, it is known as a great antibacterial agent to help everybody cope with infection effectively.
How to apply:
- Boil fresh parsley with water and wait until it becomes cool
- With the help of a washcloth, apply the mixture over your eyelid for about 15 minutes every day
The recommendation for you is to use parsley 2-3 times every day for the best results.
Tea Tree Oil
You must be familiar with the concept that antibacterial agents work well as remedies for Whitehead on the eyelid. So, tea tree oil is an ideal choice, isn’t it?
Yes, tea tree oil proves to be effective to eliminate bacteria on your skin. In addition, Whitehead cannot grow any more if you start using tea tree oil.
Nevertheless, the danger in tea tree oil is its strong nature. If you use raw tea tree oil in a direct way, the likelihood is that your skin will pose some reactions.
So, it is a good idea to start combining it with another ingredient, such as aloe vera or simply water.
How to apply:
- Combine a part of tea tree oil with 9 parts of aloe vera gel or water
- Then, apply it over your affected eyelid with a cotton ball
- Let it dry naturally
Before using this mixture, you had better wash your skin carefully.
Yogurt is another effective remedy for Whitehead on eyelid, thanks to its antibacterial qualities. In fact, yogurt fights against bad bacteria only.
If you eat yogurt regularly, you already know that it provides some good bacteria to balance and maintain the well-being of your digestive system.
How to apply:
- Combine yogurt (about 3 tablespoons), oatmeal (2 tablespoons) and a little olive oil
- Then, apply the paste over your closed eyes
- 5 minutes, get warm water to clean your eyes carefully
As massage is a suggested way to get rid of whitehead on eyelid more quickly, you can try including the use of some essential oils to maximize the benefits.
Olive oil is a popular choice thanks to its richness of nutrients as well as availability. You can make it warm a little bit at first.
Useful Tips to Prevent Whitehead on Eyelid
You will not have to read all this long article if you do not have a whitehead on your eyelid. Therefore, the prevention against whitehead is even more important than the treatment.
One of the crucial tips to avoid seeing whitehead on the eyelid is to maintain a good habit of hygiene. It is still important if you are dealing with the problem itself.
But what is a good hygiene habit? Well, it includes many activities that you do every day, but perhaps you do not give them the deserving attention.
- Use baby shampoo and warm water to clean the eyelids often
- Minimize the chances of touching the eyes with your fingers or hands which might be a rich source of bacteria and dirt
- Towels and handkerchiefs should never be shared, even among family members. Do not make other people suffer from the same problem or get the problem from others easily
- Contact lenses and cosmetics around the eyes are not recommended because they may raise the risk of problems in the eyes
- Always remember to protect the eyes from dangerous factors, such as air pollution or dust. In addition, you had better minimize the time at which your skin has to contact with the sun directly
- Pillow cover is a potential source of bacteria, so make sure to change it every week
- Once you notice whitehead on eyelid, never try scratching or squeezing it. I repeat, it only worsens the situation
In general, whitehead on eyelid is not threatening your life. But anyway, you need to overcome it as soon as possible to feel much more confident again.
There are many different methods to cure whitehead on eyelid. Choose the appropriate method for you by listing your priority.
Lastly, never forget to protect your eyes in advance so that you do not have to face these problems in your life. Share this article to help more people know information too!